Sunday, July 17, 2005

Prudence

In the book I'm reading (which I first mentioned here) I just got done with the chapter on Prudence. I'm thinking that I will resolve to write my "Rule of Life." Right now things just happen to get done when they get done. I want my discernment to be organized, principled, purposeful, determined. I don't wanna just happenstance through it. Yunno what I mean? I found these excerpts helpful:

  • pg 119: In his Journal of a Soul, Pope John XXIII records this entry for August 14, 1961:
    Considering the purpose of my life I must:
    Desire only to be virtuous and holy, and so be pleasing to God.
    Direct all things to the service and glory of the Church.
    Recognize that I have been sent here by God, and therefore remain perfectly serene about all that happens.
    Entrust myself at all times to Divine Providence.
    Always arrange my day in an intelligent and orderly manner.
  • pg 119: Often have I quoted from Cardinal Newman who, when asked the road to perfection, responded:
    "He is perfect who does the work of the day perfectly... first, do not lie in bed beyond the due time of rising; give your first thoughts to God; make a good visit to the Blessed Sacrament; say the Angelus devoutly; eat and drink to God's glory; say the rosary well; be recollected; keep out bad thoughts; make your evening meditation; examine yourself daily; go to bed in good time... and you are already perfect."
  • pg 121: St. Ignatius of Loyala's "First Principle and Foundation":
    Man is created to praise, reverence, and serve God our Lord, and by this means to save his soul.
    The other things on the face of the earth are created for man to help him in attaining the end for which he is created.
    Hence, man is to make use of them in as far as they help him in the attainment of his end, and he must rid himself of them in as far as they prove a hindrance to him.
    Therefore, we must make ourselves indifferent to all created things, as far as we are allowed free choice and are not under any prohibition. Consequently, as far as we are concerned, we should not prefer health to sickness, riches to poverty, honor to dishonor, a long life to a short life. The same holds for all other things.
    Our one desire and choice should be what is more conducive to the end for which we are created.

    -- Louis Puhl, S.J., The Spiritual Exercises.

Mary, teacher of Prudence, pray for us!

No comments: