Wednesday, March 23, 2005

the school of Mary

"Hello world"...the quintessential and most fundamental exercise in programming. It's rather profound once you think about it. I think it's perfect for a first post on my first blog. I didn't want to do the cliche of cliche first-posts: "well, I'm not really sure why I'm doing this but here goes nothing!"
Anyway, the reason why I like it as a first-post is because it tells where I've been (and where I currently am) while the title says where I'm going...or rather, in what I hope to grow.
I'm a "computer guy", I've loved computers since Packard Bell was still around. That's defined who I am, how everyone knows me. I'm that guy aunts and uncles call when spyware has crippled their machines. (which I don't mind!) I currently develop web-based software applications for an investment firm, Invesco.
At the same time (and for some time now) I'm discerning the priesthood for the Archdiocese of Louisville. This is redefining me. I no longer feel like the "computer guy". I now feel like the young-adult-ministry-catholic-scripture-study-C4AMontly-discerning-the-priesthood guy :)
I decided to call this blog "the school of Mary" for a few reasons:
1. Ecclesia de Eucharistia devotes a chapter to this idea starting with:
53. If we wish to rediscover in all its richness the profound relationship between the Church and the Eucharist, we cannot neglect Mary, Mother and model of the Church. In my Apostolic Letter Rosarium Virginis Mariae, I pointed to the Blessed Virgin Mary as our teacher in contemplating Christ's face, and among the mysteries of light I included the institution of the Eucharist. Mary can guide us towards this most holy sacrament, because she herself has a profound relationship with it.
2. I'm hoping that frequent use of this blog will remind me to grow in my devotion to our Blessed Mother
3. I have the secret desire (I guess it's not so secret anymore!) to go to St. Mary's Seminary in Baltimore, MD, one of the seminaries our Archdiocese uses. We currently have a seminarian there, and a priest from the Archdiocese teaches there, so it would be cool to grow a Louisville community and promote Louisville vocations at St. Mary's (hence the name "the school of Mary").

I'm in the application process right now, I haven't been accepted yet. But even if I don't go to St. Mary's I can still aspire, with God's grace, to excel in the school of Mary, the first and most devoted of our Lord's disciples.

More thoughts and updates on my discernment coming soon...

Mary, Mother of God, Pray for us!

No comments: