Thursday, October 27, 2005

hell week

Well, this weekend, and all next week are, collectively, what the kids would call, "Hell Week."

Sunday, the 30th, I'm helping serve a Mass for Cardinal McCarrick at the National Shrine in D.C. and then that night is a review session for my History of Philosophy mid-term on Tuesday.
Monday, the 31st, I have an Epistemology mid-term and need to start working on my Descartes and Nietzche paper for Philosophical Anthropology
Tuesday, the 1st, I have a History of Philosophy mid-term
Thursday, the 3rd, I have an Intro to Catholic Theology mid-term and my Aquinas paper for Philosophical Anthropology is due (more on that later).

Sunday, the 6th, the Vatican Visitation Team arrives at St. Mary's (not worried about that) and will be here till Friday, the 11th.
Monday, the 7th, I need to start prep for an Epistemology presentation and an Intro to Catholic Theology presentation. Plus my Political Philosophy paper is due (more on that later).

My Philosophical Anthropology paper is the following:
Read Summa Theologiae (1-2.18.1). Explain St. Thomas's argument and what significance it has for his overall understanding of the human person. Make sure you discuss the objections and replies. Keep the following questions in mind:
1. How does what St. Thomas says about human actions relate to his metaphysics - i.e. his understanding of the fundamental structures of reality?
2. How does what he says in 1-2.18.1 build upon the other texts you have read by Aquinas?
3. How does Aquinas' way of accounting for evil in human actions compare to Plato?
4-5 pages, typed, double-spaced.

My Political Philosophy paper is the following:
Give reasons from both a secular and a religious perspective why “gay marriage” has a negative impact on society. Use texts used in class, the Goodridge v. Dept. of Public Health decision, and Church Teaching from the Catechism, encyclicals, etc.
5 pages, typed, double-spaced.

Anyway, I'll be away from this blog for a while. When things calm down I'll post any pictures, thoughts, etc. and update on how the Consecration is going.

Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, pray for us!
St. John Vianney, pray for us!
St. Charles Borromeo, pray for us!
St. Tarcisius, pray for us!
St. Thomas Aquinas, pray for us!
St. Augustine, pray for us!
St. Peter Lombard, pray for us!
St. Thomas More, pray for us!
St. Louis de Montfort, pray for us!

1 comment:

wild gosling said...

I'm in D.C. this weekend for the USMC Marathon! I'm going to mass on Sat night, though. Call me if you can meet up for coffee or dinner or something (or look for me on the streets of DC on Sunday). ;-)