Thursday, May 05, 2005

Lectio Divina with the LSP's

Once a month I go to a Lectio Divina for vocation discernment at the Little Sisters of the Poor with the Communion & Liberation group (CL synthesizes the conviction that the Christian event, lived in communion, is the foundation of man's genuine liberation, not to be mistaken for the crazy liberation theology we often hear of)

Anyway, in the context of Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, we sing an opening hymn, read one of the major Calling passages from the Bible, then 20 minutes of quiet time to reflect on the reading. After this there is a sung response after several short prayers that we take turns reading. Then time for silent adoration, a concluding prayer, and then Night Prayer with the community who then joins us.

This particular Lectio centered around the call of Mary so I thought I'd share it here:

Hymn

Reading: Luke 1:26-38 (I'll use the Douay-Rheims here) And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth, to a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women: Who having heard, was troubled at his saying, and thought with herself what manner of salutation this should be. And the angel said to her: Fear not, Mary, for thou hast found grace with God. Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and shalt bring forth a son; and thou shalt call his name Jesus. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the most High; and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of David his father; and he shall reign in the house of Jacob for ever. And of his kingdom there shall be no end.

And Mary said to the angel: How shall this be done, because I know not man? And the angel answering, said to her: The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the most High shall overshadow thee. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. And behold thy cousin Elizabeth, she also hath conceived a son in her old age; and this is the sixth month with her that is called barren: Because no word shall be impossible with God.

And Mary said: Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done to me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

Time for quiet reflection (20 minutes)
Questions to think about during this time:

  • Who was Mary? Who am I?
  • What was Mary's life like when the angel was sent to her? What is my life like?
  • How did God speak to Mary? In what ways does He speak to me today?
  • How did the angel greet Mary? How did she react? How do I react to God's unexpected workings in my life?
  • Who does God put into my life to help to reveal His plan for me? How does this take place?
  • What was God's plan for Mary? How does He make it known?
  • What is God's plan for me? How does He make it known to me?
  • What was Mary's initial response to the angel? Why do we sometimes feel troubled or fearful when God makes His presence in our life known?
  • How can our fears prevent us from doing God's will? How can we overcome them?
  • How does the Holy Spirit work in Mary's life? How does He work in mine?
  • What was Mary's basic attitude in the face of God's call? What is my attitude toward God's plan for me?
  • What does it mean to be a servant? How am I called to serve?
  • How did Mary respond to her vocation? What were the results of her response? How is she a model for me?

Repeat sung response after each of the following prayers: Speak, Lord. I love to listen to your voice. See, Lord... Here I am.

Help me, Lord, to know myself

May I always listen to your voice. Prepare my heart to be open to what you ask of me.

Lord, place in my life people who can help me to know your will.

Give me the grace, Lord, to recognize you when you speak to me. May I see your providential love in all the circumstances of my life.

Lord, help me to overcome my fears and enter fully into your plan for me. Teach me that nothing is impossible with you.

Help me to promptly do whatever you ask of me and to accept your will for my life, even when it is unexpected or difficult.

Enlighten me, Lord. Show me my unique vocation.

Help me to be attentive to your Word. Give me a listening heart.

I am your servant, Lord. Let it be done to me as you say.

Silent Adoration.

Concluding Hymn.

Mary, Mother of the Word Incarnate, pray for us!

No comments: