Wednesday, November 05, 2008

taking my own advice

It's funny how we (I) can intellectually know how we should so something or what we should do, but then not actually do it. Only four short days ago I posted my second "Caesar homily" with advice that should have kept me from feeling all defeated and bitter today. But giving it another think-thru and meditating on today's readings is pulling me up.

Here's what I said:
In the period of silence after this homily, let us examine ourselves and where we stand with these principles... my brothers and sisters, let us be assured that there is hope. This hope lies not in our vote or our candidate but in Jesus Christ. Our Lord, by being born of a family in Nazareth, sanctified family life and showed us the way to holiness through the family, even today! Did not the Gospel of Luke tell us that with Mary and Joseph, Jesus “increased in wisdom and in stature, and in favor with God and man?” Did he not teach us: “For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his [soul]?” Jesus is the Way when we have become lost in the political hype. He is the Truth when we have bought the lies of the evil one. And He is the Life when we have fallen to his temptations. In Jesus Christ we are secure and can exclaim with our psalm today “For great is the LORD and highly to be praised; awesome is he, beyond all gods. For all the gods of the nations are things of nought, but the LORD made the heavens. The LORD is king, he governs the peoples with equity.”

No comments: