Wednesday, November 05, 2008

God's Word after the election

God's Word to us, on the day after the election, from today's first reading at Mass:
Do everything without grumbling or questioning,
that you may be blameless and innocent,
children of God without blemish
in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation,
among whom you shine like lights in the world,
as you hold on to the word of life

--from Phil 2:12-18

And I was struck by a couple lines in the Gospel:
Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me
cannot be my disciple.

In the same way,
everyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions
cannot be my disciple.”

-- from Lk 14:25-33

Finally, I was encouraged by one of the intercessions at Evening Prayer today:
[God,] Be mindful of those who devote themselves to the service of their brothers,
do not let them be deterred from their goals by discouraging results or lack of support.
-- May your people praise you, Lord.

No comments: