Tuesday, September 27, 2005

first paper

Well, here comes my first paper in seminary. It's for Philosophical Anthropology:

1. Explain Plato's understanding of the human person as presented in the Phaedo. Make sure you take account of:
A. His discussion of the nature of the soul and the significance of death
B. The connection between the immortality of the soul and
a. what he says about the "forms" and
b. his understanding of learning as "recollection"
C. His conception of what constitutes the "good life" for human being.
In describing Plato's views, be sure to note the strengths and weaknesses you see in them. In particular, do the arguments he adduces in support of them work?
2. Compare Plato's views to the views of Paul as described in 1 Corinthians 15. In what ways are they similar? How are they different?
(4-5 pages, typed, double-spaced)

Not tooo bad...we'll see. I may even post the paper here!

Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom, pray for us!

2 comments:

wild gosling said...

oh man oh man oh man...where are my cliff notes?! ;-) jk...I'll have to skim through Phaedo and add water to my dried up memory on that. The questions sound awesome.

i am such a geek. @:-P

wild gosling said...

did i ever tell you i played "Socrates" in a production of the musical Godspell at my previous parish? I wonder how your prof would feel, if you quoted that piece of work:

I honor and love you; but I shall obey God rather than you, and while I have life I shall never cease from the practice and teaching of philosophy. For know that this is the command of God; and I believe that no greater good has ever happened in the state than my service to the God. For I do nothing but go about persuading you all, young and old alike, not to take thought for your persons or properties, but first and chiefly to take care about the greatest improvement of the soul. This is my teaching and if this is the doctrine which corrupts the youth, then I am a mischievous person.

But if anyone says that this is not my teaching, he is speaking an untruth. (Sings:)

Wherefore, O men of Athens,
I say to you
Therefore, acquit me or not
But whichever you do
I shall never alter my ways
Never adjust my approach to this maze
Never reform til the end of my days
Even if I have to die many times.


;-) i like philosophy AND musicals...