Thursday, August 18, 2005

The soul rejoices in the Lord

he Almighty has done great things for me, and holy is his Name.

The last week or so has been a blizzard of stress, trying to tie up 50 million lose ends before I go off to seminary. Before I get into it though: biretta tip to Bryan for his charitable advice regarding my post on the Assumption. Just in case anyone may have misunderstood me, I should make it clear that I mean in no way to imply or encourage a spirit of disobedience. It would have been better to encourage my dear readers to embrace the Solemnity with prayer and holiness even though it wasn't technically an Obligation.

The Assumption started the week off well enough, but I've been stressed and tired ever since. I've had to settle all these little tasks like buying plane tickets for my dad and brother to fly back from Baltimore, get my student loan deferred, settle my benefits and exit stuff for work, finish work projects and websites for my uncle and the vocation office, buy new glasses and contacts, meet friends, priests, and family for going-away dinners, take my car in to get worked on, go to a doctor's appointment, change all my addresses, renew my registration, etc...you get the point.

I look back on the week and wish I had spent more time on preparing myself for seminary with prayer and fasting and the Liturgy of the Hours and Mass. But, the overwhelming support I've been shown over the last week has been very helpful and encouraging. I sent my farewell email to the whole office today at work and got many replies of thanks and encouragement (and from many people who I didn't know were Catholics!). My team is throwing me a big going-away BBQ after work tomorrow. I also served one last time at the Cathedral and got a special blessing from Father. Everyone at daily Mass made a point to congratulate me afterwards. One gentleman even shared that because of "personal problems" he was turned away from seminary and wished he could have continued down that road. He gave me his card and told me to contact him if I ever needed financial assistance. He even said he'd be hurt if he found out I needed help and didn't tell him!

My brother Knights have been very generous as well and even instructed me to contact them if I needed more! I think my spiritual director's council and the Secular Franciscans may help as well. And my good friend Josh even bought me a computer!

I was so worried about how I was going to pay for my car payment and insurance but so many friends and family have stepped forward on their own accord expressing a willingness to help. I feel so very blessed and fortunate.

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
...the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
(Luke 1:46-49)

No comments: