Monday, March 28, 2005

spiritual direction

Spiritual Direction with Fr. Paul, the weekend of Palm Sunday, was awesome as ususal. It provides a monthly, much-needed weekend retreat from Louisville as his parish is an hour away. This particular weekend was a great blessing as Fr. Paul let me serve the Saturday Benediction so I knelt down beside him during the rite and evening prayer. When he went up to bless the congregation with the Blessed Sacrament in the monstrance I stayed kneeling, prepared the incense, and gave it a triple blessing...sweeet. Is there anything cooler than hearing that "ching" sound as the thurible hits the chain? I also wore a long black cassock and a surplice that matched father's. I was honored to assit Father in the Benediction.

I also served each of his Masses as his Master of Ceremonies. I got to stand next to him during the Eucharistic Prayer and turn the pages in the Sacramentary for him.

All of this kinda makes me feel like a little kid again. I was an altar server when I was really little but I never completely caught on. I remember one time in particular when I served my aunt and uncle's wedding and at one point went and got the gifts myself! I've been serving on the even dated Wednesdays at the Cathedral for several months now but the reverence Fr. Paul uses really envelopes me in the experience. It also allows me to spend more time around the altar studying the priest, learning the Sacramentary and the silent prayers, etc.

Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, pray for us!

No comments: