Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Feast of St. Matthew!


What a great day! At this morning's 7:30am Mass here at St. Mary's, Matthew Wetsel (another one of the new guys) and I were the gift bearers. It was good to serve the Mass in this way on my namesake's Feast Day! All the guys have been wishing me a "Happy Feast Day" today too, that's been kinda cool.

The readings today treat this good apostle and evangelist so be sure you check them out if you haven't gone to Mass today.

I always like to joke around and say "yeah, my first name is Matthew, the tax collector, and my middle name is Thomas, the doubter so I got the one-two punch!" But, I think they are appropriate, I too get frequently caught up in money, materialism, doubt, and unblief. I also like to think of it as an honor to be named after these two apostles. While they both get a bad wrap, we must also keep in mind that they both had profound conversions:
Collect:
God of mercy, you chose a tax collector, Saint Matthew, to share the dignity of the apostles. By his example and prayers help us to follow Christ and remain faithful in your service. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

No comments: